Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly blog hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Today’s theme is all about characters that everyone loves that I hate or hate and I love.
1. Dracula: Dracula (the original) – Perhaps my biggest issue with this character stems from the fact that I don’t understand why everyone claims it be a literary masterpiece. The truth is, this piece of fiction may have been frightening to people back when it was first published. But to our generation, which is constantly bombarded with so much blood and gore, it’s really quite tame.
2. Twilight Saga: Bella Swan (vampire) – This of course is one that will have mixed views. So many people hate her and so many people love her. I actually didn’t mind human Bella. Sure, I found the fact that she basically had a heart attack at the thought of Edward leaving, to not only be annoying but extremely pathetic. But at least she was a character with flaws and she had her own self doubt. As a vampire she became perfect. The most beautiful. The one who glitters the most in the sun. The strongest. The most powerful gift against the Volturi. Stop me. I’m bored already, because that’s what perfection is: boredom.
3. Harry Potter: Ron Weasley – Ironically this came up during a conversation with a friend over the Harry Potter marathon this weekend. But I just don’t get why everyone was loved Ron. Sure he was comedic relief in the movies, but what purpose did he truly serve in the books? And let’s talk about his friendship with Harry. I know it’s human to get jealous over things, but come on. During the entire series, Ron is constantly brooding and whining because of his jealousy over Harry. He was jealous of Harry’s money. Jealous of Harry’s ability to play quidditch so well. Of the fact everyone always talked about Harry. Any time everyone started bashing Harry, Ron was right there leading the charge. He’s a bad friend and not worthy of surviving the books or ending up with Hermoine.
4. Sookie Stackhouse Novels: Bill Compton (book) – Anyone who watched True Blood or read the Sookie Stackhouse novels, knows there’s a huge divide within the fandom when it comes down to Team Bill and Team Eric. Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m a Team Eric girl, but I didn’t hate Bill as much in the books as everyone else did. Sure, he was arrogant and kind of an ass. But almost everyone’s reasoning for hating him is the fact he raped Sookie in Club Dead. Now, before you go assuming I’m okay with this, I’m not. Let me explain why I hate this argument. In this series, the act of feeding on blood is tied extremely closely to the act of having sex. Even when it’s with a human they wouldn’t wish to have sex with, the vampires experience that same kind of excitement. In Bill’s case, he had been tortured and starved for several days, thus leaving him to be a more primal vampire version of himself. He didn’t lock Sookie in the trunk with him and as soon as he got enough blood in his system, he stopped. Once again, not excusing it, but come on. It’s supposed to be a primal reaction for this type of creature. I can’t very well blame a shark for attacking its prey, can I? And dolphins have been known to try to have sex with their trainers.
5. The Lunar Chronicles: Levana – I’m a sucker for a bad guy. So while the rest of the fandom is cheering on Cinder and the gang or swooning over all the couplings, I was intrigued by Levana’s background. Tortured to the point of being set on fire, by her older sister when she was a young child, Levana is physically scarred for life. But the torture continues for years and between that, the self-loathing and of course, the hunger one gains when they have power over others, it’s not surprising that she became a deranged psychopath. In a way, she was always striving to prove she was the best, because she had never been. I can’t excuse the horrible things she inflicts on others, but at least I can appreciate that had her childhood been different, she probably never would have turned into the power hungry lunar queen that we know and love.
6. Alex Cross: The Cross Family – If there’s something I can’t stand, it’s a character that is perceived as perfect. In this particular series, there’s an entire freaking family. First off, after everything Alex Cross has done and gone through, I’m surprised he’s not in jail. He definitely wouldn’t still be solving crimes. The man flew off to Africa, England and other countless places to solve crimes that were not in his jurisdiction. At the very least, let’s be honest, if it weren’t for Patterson conveniently forgetting Alex was in his 40’s in Along Came A Spider, he’d be far too old to be doing everything he’s been doing. Two, Nana Mama is by far the most ridiculous character I’ve ever had to put up with. She’s a racist nagger, who ironically has magically barely aged, despite the fact the kids have aged over a decade. Last, but not least: the stepford children. You know those books where bad things happen, but it always works out in the end? Yeah, these kids live those kinds of lives. Every tumor, every kidnapping, every thing is perfect. It goes wrong perfectly and there are never any lasting side effects. I suspect they are being drugged by Nana Mama. But don’t hold me to it.
7. House of Night: Zoey Redbird – At the beginning of the series, I really liked Zoey. But thanks to years of bad plots, always having every straight guy fall in love with her and idiotic rhyming spells, I’m just done. It’s so bad I was rooting for Neferet to win in the end. Because to me, the idea of Neferet’s psycho ass ruling the world was a far better outcome than having to know Zoey was going to still be around.
8. The Vampire Chronicles: Louie – I’ll admit, had I stopped reading this series after Interview with the Vampire, Lestat would have been the one on my list. But as it stands it’s whiny, hypocrite Louie that I despise. Though everyone else views Lestat as a liar and a deceiver, the truth is, it’s proven time and time again that he is not. He’s not perfect, but he never claims to be. Meanwhile Louie is self-righteous and views himself as a better vampire because he claims to have maintained more of his humanity. That’s a crock and the fact that he continuously lied while telling his story, makes me find him completely dis-trustworthy.
I’m afraid that’s all I have for today. Can’t wait to see what you all have listed today!